Our Customer Care Commitments
DAS customers the world over expect the highest level of customer service. At DAS you can expect our courteous, knowledgeable and caring professionals to:
- Treat you with respect
- Provide you with timely and fair treatment of all issues and concerns
- Give the highest quality of service in clear and plain language
Once you have made the decision to buy a DAS Legal Protection Insurance Policy, we commit to getting your policy documents and payment information to you right away. Our standard practice is to send these to you via email – not only because it is instantaneous, but because it is the most environmentally friendly way. However, if you prefer to receive paper copies via mail, please instruct your broker accordingly.
Legal Advice Helpline
When you call our Legal Advice Helpline, you will be:
- Asked about the nature of your legal issue so we are able to connect you with a lawyer specialized in that area of law
- Asked what is the best time for a lawyer to reach you so we are able to call you back within that timeframe
- Connected with a lawyer in an emergency situation – 24 hours a day
This service can be accessed by our policyholders at 1-877-8-DASLEGAL (1-877-832-7534) from 8am to midnight, local time, seven days a week. We realize that no two situations are alike and therefore, we do not restrict the number of times you can call the helpline or the length of time you talk to a lawyer. The advice lawyer will provide you with general advice and information and discuss your legal situation to help you determine your legal rights and options. Given the nature of this service, the lawyer is not able to perform case specific research or review documents or write letters.
Our Claims line can be reached by calling 1-877-8-DASLEGAL (1-877-832-7534) at any time. Please ensure that you report any claim as soon as possible.
When calling to report a claim, you will be:
- Asked to provide some initial information regarding the claim
- Contacted by a claims representative who will gather further information to allow us to assess the prospects of success of your case
Once the claim is validated, your file will be referred to a specialty lawyer who will commence work on your file immediately. Your DAS claims representative will continue to work with your lawyer through the resolution process.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your DAS Legal Protection Insurance Policy or any of our services, including claims handling, please follow the procedures below:
- Discuss your concerns with your Broker
The first step is to explain and discuss your concerns with your broker. When calling, please have your details, including your policy and/or claim number available. Your broker can also provide contact information for DAS, if required.
- Contact the DAS Canada Representative/Complaints Officer
If after speaking with your broker you remain unsatisfied with any aspect of our service then you should contact DAS.
When making contact, please have your details, including your policy number available. Our people are knowledgeable and experienced, and in most cases will be able to answer your questions during your call.
If you are unsure of who to contact, please write to us at DAS Legal Protection Insurance Company Limited, 390 Bay Street, Suite 1610, Toronto, Ontario M5H 2Y2. Alternatively you can telephone us at 1-888-5-TALKTODAS (1-888-582-5586) or email us at email@example.com.
We will acknowledge the complaint within two days upon receipt.
If your complaint still remains unresolved or you would like to discuss the handling of your complaint further, please feel free to contact our Complaints Officer at the above number. The Complaints Officer will review the matter with you to ensure a complete understanding of your concerns and will then investigate the matter fully, keeping you apprised of the status throughout. You will be promptly notified of the results of the investigation.
- Contact the General Insurance OmbudService
If you are still not happy, you can contact the General Insurance OmbudService (GIO). The GIO is an independent organization which exists to help resolve problems between individuals and their insurance providers. The GIO’s services are available free of charge to the customer and the GIO can be contacted by telephone (toll-free Number 1-877-225-0446), or through their website at www.giocanada.org. The GIO should be contacted only after you have first tried to resolve the issue directly with us.
- Additional Information If you have a complaint regarding our complaint handling procedure or a consumer provision, you may raise these concerns with The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC). FCAC is a Canada-wide independent government body that regulates consumer provisions relating to financial services, including insurance. We have filed our complaint procedure with the FCAC. The FCAC can provide you with tips on how to make a complaint but does not get involved in individual disputes.
For more information or to contact the FCAC visit its website www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca or for service in English call Toll Free 1-866-461-FCAC (3222) or 613-996-5454 or write to FCAC at 427 Laurier Avenue West, 6th Floor, Ottawa, ON K1R 1B9.